The family has been closely associated with the Kingdom that was Jaipur and was one of the first families to move from Amer to the new city of Jaipur in 1737 (Now referred to as “The Pink City”). Their new abode was the "Chomu Haveli" now converted into a 5 Star Heritage Hotel called "Raj Palace".
A military tradition has continued through the centuries and the Admiral’s father, Major General K. Bhagwati Singh ( sixth son of Devi Singhji ) was the first Indian Commissioned officer (IC No:1) to graduate from the newly formed Indian Military Academy in 1934. The Admiral joined the National Defence Academy in 1957 and the Indian Navy as a cadet in June 1961 and was awarded the coveted Telescope and the Sword of Honour. He retired as Chairman Chiefs of Staff Committee and Chief of the Naval Staff on 31 Jul 2004 and has returned to his home in Jaipur. He and his wife Kumu reside in Govind Niwas, adjoining Devi Niketan.
Kumu, a Princess of the erstwhile Tehri Garhwal State, is a Special Educator who focuses on teaching children with mental and physical disabilities. She played an active role in managing special education schools for the Indian Navy.
After retirement the Admiral and his wife work as volunteers at “Umang” - a Center for the Disabled. Their son Bhriguraj Singh is Senior Vice President & Head, Trading Services (India) in HSBC Bank at HongKong and their daughter Dr. Piyusha Singh is settled in Delmar, NY, USA and is an Associate Dean at Excelsior College, Albany.